Friday, April 18, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!!!!

Oh Snap!!!

I just lived through my very first earthquake!!!!

So I woke up around 4:30am and felt this slight shaking. At first I was thinking what the fuck are those drunk kids doing above me now???

But then it started shaking more and more and I got super freaked out. I immediately sat up, felt the side of the bed to see if it too was moving (it was) then frantically started looking around my room. My ceiling light was shaking, my dresser was shaking, the water on my nightstand was actually moving, and when I reached to touch the wall behind my bed I could tell the whole flimsy ass apartment building was moving inches or something back and forth! It lasted for around a minute I think.

I was so scared! My first two thoughts were earthquake or tornado so as soon as it stopped I shakily got on the Internet and went to the weather channel. No tornado. Still I was uncertain this was an earthquake.

Then things started to run through my head....what if someone broke into the apartment? Why would it make that much noise? Even three minutes later my bookshelf was still moving. So I got my pocket knife out and explored the apartment. Nothing. I settled on a quick bathroom break and going back to bed confused.

Cut to this morning. Kyle calls before 7am and I explain to him the scary shaking. He explains I just felt my very first earthquake!
Oh My God!!

This is insane. Champaign is so close to the 5.4 epicenter!
Anyway, what a bizarre sensation to feel an entire building actually move and your entire room being completely shaken up.

¡Ay, caramba!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That wasn't an earthquake. That was me pushing the earth down when I was doing my morning push-up routine ... right after I divided by zero and counted to infinte twice.

Unknown said...

hahahaha - hilarious

I felt the 4.6 at 10:15 this morning from downtown Chicago...

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008qzbw.php