Sunday, September 23, 2007

You know what sucks?

...Having it already be 9 pm on a Sunday night and knowing I have to get up at 5:45 am tomorrow morning. It sucks hardcore.

So I begin my student teaching adventures tomorrow and I'm a bundle of all different emotions right now. Scared, nervous, excited, but mostly anxious because I just don't know what to expect. What I do know is I'm being picked up at 6:30am so me and my fellow carpoolers can make it to Decatur, IL by 7:30. (Of course I would be placed to student teach/observe in the farthest possible city). Then I know that all of the U or I students at Decatur will be given a tour of the school before meeting with our designated classroom teacher.

So this is where the anxious part comes in. I know I'm placed at Thomas Jefferson Middle School. I know I'll be working with 8th graders (ugh...no highschool till next semester), but I don't know anything about this Mrs. Jacqueline Woodward. Will she be nice? young? old? strict? helpful? God I hope so. I'm going to need plenty of help. All the people preparing us for this observation/student teaching adventure keep assuring us we won't be expected to do anything but observe our first day. But after that, it's completely up to your designated teacher. They could just want you to observe everyday and take roll call only, they could have you help out around the classroom, or they could insist you teach the lesson they prepared....by yourself. Imagine, me teaching a history lesson to middle schoolers next week. Terrifying! Do I really know enough history to be teaching it? Really?

Yikes. It's a bit intimidating. Also because I know by the end of this semester I have to come up with and deliver a lesson of my very own. Jeesh. How is this happening already. Hopefully I'll have another U of I student in the classroom with me so there's some moral support close by. But per usual, I don't know yet if there will be.

I'm having trouble concentrating on homework today because all I can think about is tomorrow! How weird! I have this super nice professional outfit all laid out and know I'll look nice....but then....I know I'll feel so ridiculous. Let's be honest, I'm no professional. I just got trashed this weekend then drunk stumbled around my apartment trying to make mac and cheese at 3:30am Friday night. Now I'm supposed to blend in with real teachers who are real adults? Ha, this should be interesting.

I would also feel a bit better about life if i knew this upcoming week was going to be laid back. But no, I have a big paper due Friday and mounds of reading to do. Not to mention the fact that the next two weeks after this I have 3 more papers due, and two midterms. Joy.

Man oh man this could be insane. But for now I need to get going. I have to go to bed in a few hours to be ready for my big day tomorrow! Wish me luck!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How was Thomas Jefferson Middle School?