Thursday, June 14, 2007

3 Cooks and a Maid

hmmm....well things have been ticking along fine here and once again I have little if any exciting news. I'm starting to wonder if anyone even reads my blog, and if they do, I'm wondering why. My life is undoubtedly bland right now and I admit much of that has to do with it being summer and me enjoying a simple way of life....however, I find it difficult to write about things that don't seem worthy of writing about. Are my everyday details really that interesting? And aren't I proving myself to be semi self-centered by even having a blog and assuming people around me should read about my life? What makes me so special?

Ah, that is the type of thing I broad over way to much. But I love writing, I love the noise the keyboard makes when I type (it's very gratifying) and I love getting the thoughts out of my head. I think if I could be an author I would. But the trouble is, I have no idea what I would write about other than myself or something based on myself which I assume, once again, no one would really care about and I don't like doing something unless I know I will succeed.

So what is there really to talk about? Well...the week has been flying by, and thankfully work has helped with that. I am truly lucky with the job I have. I know I talk about it all the time and all readers must be sick of it by now....but man, I am lucky. It's so much like a family there. Everyone gets along so well, we all tease eachother, laugh, and have a good time. Plus there are so many awesome people that I work with that make the long hours (especially on closing shifts) fly by and are made so much more entertaining. I'm quite the lucky girl.

Indeed, I've also thus far found out how well apartment life suits me. I enjoy so much coming home to a real place. With couches and a kitchen and my own bedroom with such a big comfy bed. Since living here, I've also discovered what a horrible neat freak I am. I've always known I like neatness but not until I lived in my own place have I found my innate desire to have everything looking spotless. You can imagine however, living with three other college students, that this is virtually impossible. My roommates (bless them) leave their dirty dishes out, dirty pans out, don't wipe up the countertops, and leave trash and crumbs lying around. But that's ok. It really doesn't bother me that much. Not everyone is a neat freak, and I've already told them I have no problem washing up and cleaning around the apartment....especially since I'm not taking classes and just bumming it during the day.

So I'm the maid. Which I enjoy because I'm also a control freak and like cleaning done my way. And my other three roommates are the cooks. Yes, I've found out my cooking skills are severely lacking (at least compared to these three chefs). First we have Marty, who insits on making everything from scratch, and turns her nose up at those who dare to use pre-made cake batter or (the horror!) don't make homemade muffins. I admire that. She's like our little 1950's grandma. And then there is Luz, who is used to cooking for her entire family, and has this knack for just throwing all these random things in a pot, cooking it, and making something that looks amazing. She'll just chop up onions, tomatoes, some kind of meat, spices, everything and anything and impress me. Plus she also always has these yummy Mexican dishes that smell and look fabulous. The other day she even made homemade Strawberry juice!! Who does that!? I'm living with a bunch of Betty Crockers. And finally we have Shubbu, who enjoys cooking all sorts of exotic Indian food which (contrary to popular belief) always smells amazinggggg. It was quite funny, after she made her first meal at the apartment, she was very excited and told us "This is the first meal I've ever made entirely on my own!! Usually my cook is standing over my shoulder or makes everything for me!!"
Yes, Shubbu has a cook. In case I haven't mentioned it, her family is insanely rich back in India. After Shubbu made this comment, I laughed and when she looked questioningly back at me, I told her she just didn't understand how bizarre it is to hear someone talk about their cook. She also has a maid and like 50 people who work on her yard. Which by the way, is the most amazing yard I've ever seen in my life. She's shown me pictures and it honestly looks like the Garden of Eden. Or some tropical Indian palace backyard. Her life back home is quite amazing and I'm surely impressed.


I think for now, I'm done. While I can often write great deals, I've found lately that anything over a few paragraphs I feel like I'm overdoing it. Especially when I'm not saying much of anything. So back to the great life of nothingness!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn it, I am not the 1950's grandma. I'm the 1950's housewife.

Luz said...

oh at first this blog made me feel horrible cuz u made us sound like slobs, and we are but i don't like it I promise I'll be the maid while ur gone n keep it nice n clean n wen u come back too, n btw i haven't made any impressive mexican meals yet! just wait.