Friday, June 8, 2007

Best News of My Life!!!!!

Holy Crap!!!!!!
I've been waiting for this since I was like 13!!!

Are you ready? Are you ready??
The Spice Girls are REUNITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't laugh. I am honestly, truly so amazingly excited about this. The Spice Girls were my biggest, hugest obsession I've ever had in my entire life. My childhood is partly defined by them. They helped shape my views on how much girls can do ("Girl Power!"), opened my eyes to pop music, and showed me that sexiness, smartness, and having fun are all equally important. I am thrilled to death right now! My stomach clenched so tight when I heard the news and I feel like jumping for joy/crying happy tears right now.

This is big news for me. Big. The Spice Girls were my Beatles. The Spice Girls helped me become me. And Geri (Ginger Spice) was everything I wanted to be.

I remember being in 3rd grade when they first came out. Me and my best friend Natasha fell in love with "Wannabe" and I immediately felt a connection with Geri. Like most 10 year old girls, my group of friends were each one Spice Girl. I of course was Ginger. And while all my friends liked the group, none were quite as obsessed as I. For being a young child with no Internet, I knew incredible amounts about these girls. I still know all the creepy details about Geri.

I had all of their CD's. Know every single one of their songs by heart. Still know every single one of their songs by heart. Have the Geri barbie doll. And while they were still together my room was a Spice Girl shrine. Every spot on my wall was covered in a Spice Girl poster or picture clipped from a magazine. (Remember, family?) All pictures taken of me at that time were of me holding up the Girl Power sign. I was obsessed with their movie and even just watched it this past Christmas break. My parents and brothers would always, always tease me, and I would get so angry and try to make them understand how much I loved this group. I would always yell, "I love them now, and I always will!!! They will always be my favorite group of all time!!!!!" And then my family would laugh and say that wouldn't be the case. Well ha, family. Look who's all time favorite band is getting back together? WooHoo!!!!!!!

When Geri quit the Spice Girls I was devastated. Completely devastated. I remember waking up, getting ready for a normal day of 5th grade, listening to my radio (97zok) in my bedroom. They announced Geri had quit. My heart broke, and I started crying. I was so angry, I remember ripping off and apart a poster of them from my wall. Although they were split up, I still continued my obsession....always knowing, always hoping they would get back together.

And here we are!!! Spice Girls Reunion!!! Apparently they are re-recording a few of their biggest hits and have written a few new ones. (Well, probably Geri wrote them. She was actually the main writer of most of their songs. She was pretty much their manager as well. Basically, she was by far the best Spice Girl). Anyway, they hope to start their worldwide reunion tour around Christmas. I swear to God I am going to that. I was never able to go to one while a child, so i WILL be there this time. I'm so excited!!!!

Sorry about this post. I realize if you are not a Spice Girls fan this probably bored you to pieces. But whoopie for me!!!

1 comment:

Luz said...

OMG THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER. IT DESERVES ME WRITING IN CAPS. WE HAVE TO GO TO THIS CONCERT TOGETHER. IT WILL BE AMAZING. I DONT CARE HOW MUCH TICKETS COST IT'LL BE WORTH IT.

"PEOPLE OF THE WORLD, SPICE UP UR LIFE"