Saturday, January 12, 2008

I'm a Do-Gooder

Last night at "Min", much to my embarrassment, I received a letter from the Salvation Army.

As soon as Joe gave it to me I knew what it was about. He must have too, because he made me read it in front of everyone else.

See, before I left for Christmas break, the salvation army put one of their Coin Things in our restaurant. At the end of every night I would put all the change I made that evening into their collection bucket. Then the Friday before I left for break, I brought in all of my change I'd been collecting since last Spring and gave it to the Collection. I don't know how much exactly I gave away, but I know it was a shit-ton because it was filled with quarters and took forever to fill.

But I did this at the end of the night and haven't told anyone about it, because I didn't want to make it a big deal and I certainly wasn't doing it for any recognition. I just hate having change.

But of course upon seeing that I filled the coin collection to the brim, making it about 20lbs. heavy, Joe and Pete made a big deal about it.

And supposedly when the man from the Salvation Army came to pick up the collection, he was shocked at how heavy the thing was. So Joe "told him a little story" about the "waitress who gave away her money". Well apparently the dude was impressed.

And then sent me a letter. Which Joe forced me to open and read in front of everyone. It was quite a nice letter. (I tried to upload it but it wouldn't work). It basically thanked me for giving away so much money while I'm working as a waitress, how much they appreciate it and people like me, and what they'll do with it. It was then signed by the Salvation Army director from our area.

So my cover was blown, and everyone working last night found out about the thing I didn't want everyone to know. I don't like making a big deal out of nice things I do. I didn't do it for recognition or a letter.

But how nice! It was a good surprise.

****

Also, I need some help. Lately my Enter key on my laptop has been sticking. A couple of days ago I spilled a little juice on my computer and thought I wiped it all off. Could this be why? None of my other keys are sticking. But I'm getting frustrated because my Enter key is frequently used. Any idea on how to fix this? Please tell me it won't always be this way!

3 comments:

Marty said...

Congrats on your letter, suck up!
I'm just kidding. That was an extraordinarily generous thing to do.





As per your request: http://ablogaboutlost.blogspot.com/
(You need to watch the show!!!)

Anonymous said...

I think your computer will be fine. Remember when I peed on mine in college? It still worked just fine until it got stolen.

Janet said...

Brady, I'm so proud of you.